Two full years of Biblical Hebrew are offered at the University of Washington in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization (NELC) in two three-quarter sequences (the second sequence typically includes one quarter of Biblical Aramaic). Each course is 5 credits. These courses may be taken in order to fulfill a foreign language requirement.
NELC incorporates coursework in Biblical Hebrew in its B.A. Program in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East (HBANES). Click here for a current course list.
The two year sequences of Biblical Hebrew are currently offered in alternate years, so students interested in taking Biblical Hebrew should carefully plan their schedules. The current schedule follows.
Academic year 2016-2017
- Autumn Quarter: BIBHEB 101/511 (formerly HEBR 414): Elementary Biblical Hebrew I
- Winter Quarter: BIBHEB 102/512 (formerly HEBR 415): Elementary Biblical Hebrew II
- Spring Quarter: BIBHEB 103/513 (formerly HEBR 426): Biblical Hebrew Prose
Academic year 2017-2018
Second-year* sequence only
- Autumn Quarter: BIBHEB 201/521 (formerly HEBR 427): Biblical Hebrew Poetry
- Winter Quarter: BIBHEB 202/522 (formerly HEBR 428): Inscriptions from Biblical Times
- Spring Quarter: ARAMIC 201/521 (formerly ARAMIC 421): Biblical Aramaic
Academic year 2018-2019 will follow the first-year sequence, and academic year 2019-2020 will follow the second-year sequence.
*The second-year sequence may vary from year to year. Please discuss second-year course scheduling with program faculty or the NELC academic advisor.
For Graduate Students
Students may enroll in Biblical Hebrew courses at the graduate level, with permission of instructor and program director, as follows: