Two full years of Biblical Hebrew are offered at the University of Washington in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization (NELC) in two three-quarter sequences (the second sequence typically includes one quarter of Biblical Aramaic). Each course is 5 credits. These courses may be taken in order to fulfill a foreign language requirement.
NELC incorporates coursework in Biblical Hebrew in its B.A. Program in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East (HBANES). Click here for a current course list.
The two year sequences of Biblical Hebrew are currently offered in alternate years, so students interested in taking Biblical Hebrew should carefully plan their schedules. The current schedule follows.
Academic year 2014-2015
- Autumn Quarter: BIBHEB 101 (formerly HEBR 414): Elementary Biblical Hebrew I
- Winter Quarter: BIBHEB 102 (formerly HEBR 415): Elementary Biblical Hebrew II
- Spring Quarter: BIBHEB 103 (formerly HEBR 426): Biblical Hebrew Prose
Academic year 2015-2016
Second-year sequence only
- Autumn Quarter: BIBHEB 201 (formerly HEBR 427): Biblical Hebrew Poetry
- Winter Quarter: BIBHEB 202 (formerly HEBR 428): Inscriptions from Biblical Times
- Spring Quarter: ARAMIC 201 (formerly ARAMIC 421): Biblical Aramaic
Academic year 2016-2017
Academic year 2017-2018
For Graduate Students
Students may enroll in Biblical Hebrew courses at the graduate level, with permission of instructor and program director, as follows: