שלום וברוכים הבאים לשיעור עברית מודרנית סתיו 2021
The sequence MODHEB 101, 102 & 103 is a full year course of Elementary Modern Hebrew. In fall 2021, we will have hybrid course in which both synchronous and asynchronous formats will be used. Class will meet once a week in person, once a week via Zoom video conferencing and once a week asynchronously with content offered online for eleven weeks, and will complete chapter 4 in our textbook.
Course Information & Online Resources
The plan is to meet on Mondays & Wednesdays at 9:30-11:20 am (Seattle time) either in person or via Zoom video conferencing. Fridays will be used to review and work on online content or other projects asynchronously. You are required to have access to our course Canvas web-page, classroom and to our virtual meeting space which will be conducted via Zoom Video Conferencing https://washington.zoom.us/.
I will be distributing a conference ID which will allow you to join our online session. Access to both Canvas and Zoom is necessary for completing readings and homework assignments and for earning participation points.
Types of Communication
During the online course, our communication will be visible to all. For private communication, we will use individual email and Zoom office hours.
Hybrid Course Policies
Expectations of students:
- Come to class fully prepared.
- Attend all in person and online sessions and actively participate in the forum.
- Complete assignments on time. If difficulties turn up (such as illness, caring for others who are ill, technological problems, working from home where children need attention, etc.), let me know. We will figure out what to do to keep your learning on track.
- Abide by the standards of academic honesty and student code of conduct.
- Seek help. I’ll do my best to help you succeed in this class.
- Have access to a camera and audio. The expectation is that you will be visible/audible to me and to your classmates during the Zoom classes, but you can control those options. If you are not feeling well and want to listen in but not speak up or be seen, we will accommodate those circumstances. And, if the servers/processors/whatever are overburdened and the video is slowing down or disrupting our communication, we'll adapt as necessary to those circumstances.
- I do not plan to record Zoom sessions.
- Get to class on time. Test your camera and audio prior to class time.
- In general, it is good policy to "mute" yourself during a Zoom meeting, until you are ready to speak to the entire group. Keep phones and other devices from making background noise or disruption.
- Respect each other.
The goals of this course are:
1) Ability to write and to read both print and script
2) Ability to participate in and understand basic conversation on everyday topics
3) Ability to compose and understand simple written materials on everyday topics
4) Acquisition of a vocabulary of approximately 1000 words
5) Understanding of the principles of the structure of the Hebrew language
6) Basic acquaintance with the culture expressed through the Hebrew language
1) Textbook: Shalom 1 – שלום ב, Orly & Shalom Shoer, ISBN-13: 978-1547049660. This textbook is accompanied by a website available at hebrewshalom.com.
2) Course packet - available on Canvas.
3) Quizlet - online learning tool, which includes class related activities and flashcards with all the vocabulary.
4) Online dictionary available at: morfix.co.il
Complete copy of the syllabus: syllabus fall 2021.pdf