Course Information & Online Resources
The plan is to meet on Tuesdays & Thursdays 9:30-11:20 am (Seattle time) via Zoom Video Conferencing. You are required to have access to our course Canvas web-page, and to our virtual meeting space which will be conducted via Zoom Video Conferencing https://washington.zoom.us/.
I will be distributing a conference ID which will allow you to join our online session. Access to both Canvas and Zoom is necessary for completing readings and homework assignments and for earning participation points.
This is the first time I am teaching this course remotely. Let's be patient with each other and keep a sense of humor!! We will figure out what to do to make learning as positive an experience as possible under extraordinary and difficult circumstances.
Types of Communication
In an online course, our communication will be visible to all. For private communication, we will use individual email and Zoom office hours.
Online Course Policies
Expectations of students:
- Come to class fully prepared.
- Attend all online sessions and actively participate in the forum.
- Complete assignments on time. If difficulties turn up (such as illness, caring for others who are ill, technological problems, working from home where children need attention, etc.), let me know. We will figure out what to do to keep your learning on track.
- Abide by the standards of academic honesty and student code of conduct.
- Seek help. I’ll do my best to help you succeed in this class.
- Have access to a camera and audio. The expectation is that you will be visible/audible to me and to your classmates, but you can control those options. If you are not feeling well and want to listen in but not speak up or be seen, we will accommodate those circumstances. And, if the servers/processors/whatevers are overburdened and the video is slowing down or disrupting our communication, we'll adapt as necessary to those circumstances.
- I do not plan to record Zoom sessions.
- Get to class on time. Test your camera and audio prior to class time.
- In general, it is good policy to "mute" yourself during a Zoom meeting, until you are ready to speak to the entire group. Keep phones and other devices from making background noise or disruption.
- Respect each other.
1) Textbook: Shalom 2 & Shalom 3: A comprehensive course in Modern Hebrew – שלום ג, Orly & Shalom Shoer. This textbook is accompanied by a website available at hebrewshalom.com.
2) Course packet.
3) Quizlet - online learning tool, which includes class related activities and flashcards with all the vocabulary.
4) Online dictionary available at: morfix.co.il
Complete copy of the syllabus:syllabus winter 2021.pdf
Prerequisites MODHEB 201 or permission of the instructor.