Aria's research and teaching focus on modern Persian literature and translation studies. His current book project examines the formation of literature as a conceptual category and traces transnational literary connections between Iran and Afghanistan. He also engages in social advocacy for non-citizen Americans, particularly Central American asylum seekers.
- “What Is Literature? The Rise of a Global Literary Discourse” (Mandarin Chinese title: 文学是什么?一种全球性文学话语的兴起), Journal of Foreign Languages and Cultures (2021): 42-49. Download PDF (583.52 KB)
- Aria Fani, "The Allure of Untranslatability: Shafi'i-Kadkani and (Not) Translating Persian Poetry.” Iranian Studies, 54.1-2 (2021): 95-125. Download PDF (431.3 KB)
- Aria Fani, "Iran’s Literary Becoming: Zokaʾ ol-Molk Forughi and the Literary History That Wasn’t," Iran Namag 5.3 (2020), pp. 114-144. Download PDF (842.5 KB)
- Aria Fani, "What Is Asylum? Translation, Trauma, and Institutional Visibility.” In Routledge Handbook of Translation and Activism. Edited by Rebecca Gould and Kayvan Tahmasebian, Routledge, 2020, pp. 397-407. Download PDF (7.16 MB)
- Aria Fani and John L. Hayes, "Basmala: Translating an Iconic Phrase.” TRANS: Revista de Traductología, 21, 2017, pp. 213-219 Download PDF (164.67 KB)
- Aria Fani, "A Silent Conversation with Literary History: Re- theorizing Modernism in the Poetry of Bizhan Jalāli," Iranian Studies, 50:4, 2017, pp. 523-552, Download PDF (593.17 KB)
- Aria Fani, “Poet as Citizen in a Contested Nation: Rewriting the Poetry of Soviet-occupied Afghanistan.” In Artistic Citizenship: Artistry, Social Responsibility, and Ethical Praxis. Edited by David J. Elliott, Marissa Silverman, Wayne Bowman, Oxford University Press, 2016, pp. 392-414.
- Aria Fani, “Narratives of Literary Commitment in the Poetry of Afghan Resistance: The Cases of Khalilollah Khalili and Parwin Pazhwâk,” Iran Nameh, 29:1, 2014, pp. 108-120 Download PDF (123.86 KB)
Summer 2020 A-term
- NELC Major Piper Coyner Awarded UW President's Medal - May 26, 2020
- The Allure of Untranslatability - May 17, 2020
- Nowruz 2020: A Message from NELC - PISP - March 20, 2020