Director, Turkish and Ottoman Studies Program
Ph.D., 2000, NELC, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
M.A. 1993, Boğaziçi University, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, İstanbul, Turkey
- Kuru, Selim S. "Şehrengiz: Urban Rituals and Deviant Sufi Mysticism in Ottoman İstanbul." Bulletin Of The School Of Oriental & African Studies 79, no. 1 (February 2016): 190-192.
- Kuru, Selim Sirri. "Producing Desire: Changing Sexual Discourses in the Ottoman Middle East 1500–1900." Journal Of The Economic & Social History Of The Orient 51, no. 4 (December 2008): 675-679.
- Kuru, Selim S. "Sex in the Text: Deli Birader's Dâfi'ü 'l-gumûm ve Râfi'ü 'l-humûm and the Ottoman Literary Canon." Middle Eastern Literatures 10, no. 2 (August 2007): 157-174.
- "Les gitons d’Istanbul à la fin du XVIII e siècle: Extrait du Hubanname d’Enderunlu Fazıl bey," co-edited with Irvin Cemil Schick, in Les Ottomans par eux-memes, edited by Elisabetta borromeo and Nicolas Vatin (Paris, France: Les Belles Lettres, 2019)
- Kuru, Selim S., "Generic Desires: Homoerotic Love in Ottoman Turkish Poetry," in Homeorotic Desire in Islam and Christianity: 12th-20th centuries edited by Umberto Grassi (Rome, Italy: Viella English Series, 2019)
- "Les gitons d’Istanbul à la fin du XVIII e siècle: Extrait du Hubanname d’Enderunlu Fazıl bey," co-edited entry in Les Ottomans par eux-memes, edited by Elizabetta Borromeo and Nicolas Vatin (Paris, France: Les Belles Lettres, 2019)
Research Advised: Graduate Masters Theses
- White, Marita, "Edible Landscape: Agricultural and Social Gardens in Topkapı Sarayı, 1453- 1800" (2017). Thesis.
- Facer, Christopher, "Holding Multiple Nationalism: Perspectives of an Albanian Ottoman" (2017). Thesis.
- Harrington, Lydia, "Architecture and Nation-Building in Mid-20th Century Urban Turkey and Iraq" (2014). Thesis.
- Altug, Bedii, "The 1991 International Contemporary Turkic Alphabets Symposium and its Contributions to the Turkic Alphabet Reform" (2014). Thesis. Yücel Koç, Melike, "Emotion Language and Emotion Narratives of Turkish-English Late Bilinguals" (2011).Dissertations and Theses. Paper 208.
- Klempner, Peter, "Metamorphosis of the Performing Arts: Understandings of Sexuality and Nationalism in the 19th Century Ottoman Empire" (2013). Thesis.
- Burton, Josef, "Complicating Youth in Contemporary Turkey: Cultural Activism and a New Muslim Youth Identity", (2013). Thesis
- End of the Year Reception - June 12, 2019
- 5th year of cooperation with the NELC-PISP Iranian Film Initiative at SIFF and films from our region at the Festival - May 6, 2019
- Nowruz at UW - April 30, 2019
- Turks in Germany: A Panel on a Documentary Film - November 29, 2018
- DEATH OF POLITICS: Turkey in 21st Century with Professor Reşat Kasaba - September 24, 2018
- NELC-PISP Presents Third Iran Film Initiative in collaboration with SIFF 2018 - May 17, 2018
- Graduate Student Conference in Middle East Studies - May 9, 2018
- Streetwise Istanbul with Meghan Sayres - April 11, 2018
- University of Washington inaugural Nowruz Celebration on Radio Iranshahr - March 22, 2018
- Ece Temelkuran: Turkish and Ottoman Studies Program Annual Lecture Series 2018 - March 21, 2018